Food bank centre helper (Moortown, Leeds)
Our food bank provides emergency food and compassionate, practical support to people in crisis, while campaigning for a UK without the need for food banks. Without our volunteers, selflessly donating their time, we simply would not be able to support the thousands of people in crisis.
The number of people needing food banks has increased in recent years and we anticipate this trend to continue especially in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. As a Foodbank centre assistant you will play a vital role to our food bank ensuring that we are meeting the demand for our services, providing help and support to people in crisis in the local community.
We are committed to ensuring anybody visiting a food bank is welcomed, valued and treated with dignity. Volunteers take time to share a warm drink, discuss food requirements, offer a listening ear and, when appropriate, signpost people for further support and help. As a Food bank centre helper you will play a vital role giving direct support to people who use food banks, meeting and greeting people coming into the food bank, packing their food parcels, making them feel comfortable and providing further signposting support where appropriate. In this role you can make a real difference to people’s lives providing vital help and support to those in crisis in your local community.
Where: 53-55 Cranmer Bank, Moortown, LS17 5JD
When: Wednesday 10:30 am until 1:15 pm
Time commitment: approx. 3 hours per week
Main contact: Team leader of foodbank distribution centre
● Welcome clients to the foodbank centre
● Prepare food parcels according to the standard packing lists or adjust in line with dietary requirements
● Make refreshments and tidy up as required during the session
● Offer a listening ear and signpost clients, as required, to further support, using information from the signposting folder/leaflets
● Offer prayer to clients, when appropriate (if a volunteer is happy to do so)
● Adhere to all Data Protection Act requirements
● Follow all policies and procedures including safeguarding policy and confidentiality agreement
● Carry out tasks under the guidance of the Foodbank distribution centre team leader
● Report any health & safety or safeguarding concerns to the team leader
● Strong team player
● Excellent communication skills
● Has an eye for detail
● Organised and self-motivated
Benefits of volunteering
● Using your existing skills to make a difference
● Meet new people who share your passion to eradicate poverty in the community
● Make a real difference to the running of your food bank
● In this role you can make a real difference to people’s lives providing vital help and support to those in crisis in your local community.